Shopper's Corner began in 1937 with the sale of one of many Espindola chain markets to two of its store managers Ed Calwell and Carl Schwartz. After a year of accumulated debt and hard times with the post-Depression era, the two couldn't break even. In 1939 they sold the market to two other Espindola employees Emmett "Bud" Beauregard and Vincent Williams, from the Pacific Avenue store.
As the story goes, they bought the market for a dollar - 50 cents apiece, and about a $6,000 debt. They borrowed a dollar, signed their contract on butcher paper and shook hands over a pickle barrel.